Ecotope Inc. Job Opening – Posted October 3, 2017
COMPANY: Ecotope Inc.
LOCATION: Seattle, WA
JOB TITLE: Quantitative Analyst
DEPARTMENT: Research and Technology Team
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, Exempt with benefits
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
Ecotope is a mission-driven consulting, research, and mechanical engineering firm with over 40 years’ experience focusing on energy efficiency and sustainable design in buildings. Our Research and Technology group provides fundamental research into emerging, energy-efficient technologies and building energy use characteristics across the building sector; we help understand how buildings use energy and how to effectively reduce that usage.
OVERVIEW OF ROLE
The Quantitative Analyst will join our Research team and work on exciting projects at the forefront of energy use in buildings. The work encompasses all facets of energy use from thermal performance of walls and windows, to numerical model development of heat pump water heaters, to direct, multi-year monitoring of HVAC equipment performance in residential and commercial settings.
The role requires a solid foundation in physical science, energy systems, or engineering research with experience in a research environment. You must perform quantitative analysis independently as well as take direction from senior staff to produce quality results. The work will consist of significant amounts of original research on buildings and building systems, and will also entail directly applying that research in simulation tools. The Quantitative Analyst will also interact with personnel and projects from Ecotope’s Policy and Design teams.
The ideal candidate will be prepared to successfully perform all of the listed job responsibilities. However, Ecotope will consider training promising candidates that have a strong aptitude and interest in the work. Duties include:
- Automating the processing, testing, and storage of data streams from remotely deployed measurement systems for accuracy and consistency.
- Programming support for the development of energy simulation software including the development of numerical models of physical systems.
- Developing laboratory and field methods for evaluating energy performance of HVAC equipment or other building components and systems.
- Analyzing subsequent data obtained from the evaluations
- Using simulation tools and Excel calculators to support the development of utility programs.
- Assisting with technical report writing and research projects.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in physical or computer science, engineering, mathematics, statistics, or other technical field.
- High degree of interest in energy efficient building systems. Direct experience preferred.
- Understanding of thermodynamics and heat transfer.
- Experience writing data analysis computer code in high-level programming languages such as Python or R.
- Knowledge of Unix/Linux shell scripting and tools.
- Detail oriented personality, ability to organize technical information.
- Ability to manage multiple on-going projects, and prioritize multiple deadlines.
- Self-starting personality, able to work effectively in a team environment as well as independently with minimal supervision.
- 3 – 5 years work experience in a similar or related field (graduate education may substitute).
- Experience writing code in low-level programming languages such as C, C++, or Java.
- Expert data handling and database development, management, design and report development skills in environments such as SQL server.
- Strong writing skills including the ability to write in a variety of styles and translate technical information for general readers. Excellent oral communication skills a plus.
COMPENSATION, BENEFITS AND CULTURE
The compensation package offered for this position will depend on the scope of the final job responsibilities & the candidate’s experience. Ecotope offers its permanent employees a benefit package including medical, dental and vision coverage, short and long-term disability, SIMPLE IRA with matching contribution, ORCA Business Passport and starting three weeks annual personal time off (including vacation and sick leave).
Ecotope is an owner-operated business focused on the satisfaction of clients and colleagues, enjoying an informal and comfortable work place overlooking Pike Place Market. We promote creativity and innovation while also expecting efficient and effective project execution, striving to manage the company’s project load in support of a healthy work/life balance. Individual employees demonstrate a high level of independence and responsibility for their work within our collaborative work environment.
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Submit one (1) PDF file containing:
- Cover letter.
Email PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Quantitative Analyst” as the subject line.