Job Opening – March 12, 2019
COMPANY: Ecotope Inc.
LOCATION: Seattle, WA
JOB TITLE: Research Engineer
JOB TYPE: Full-time, salaried position with benefits
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
OVERVIEW OF ROLE
Ecotope is a mission-driven consulting, research, and mechanical engineering firm with over 40 years’ experience focusing on energy efficiency, decarbonization, and sustainable design in buildings. We design highly energy efficient buildings and provide fundamental research into new energy-efficient technologies and building energy use characteristics across the building sector. We strive to understand how buildings use energy and how to effectively reduce that usage through proper design. Our clients range from building owners and developers to regional and national energy planners and utilities.
The Research Engineer position is critical at Ecotope to tie the engineering design understanding into our research work. The role will encompass analytical duties in projects on data monitoring in buildings (measurement and verification), simulation/modeling studies on building energy use, engineering calculations of energy savings from new technologies, and much more. The work encompasses all facets of energy use from thermal performance of walls and windows, to numerical model development of heat pump water heaters, to direct, multi-year monitoring of HVAC equipment performance in residential and commercial settings.
The role requires a solid foundation in physical science, energy systems, or engineering research with experience in a research environment. You must perform analysis independently as well as take direction from senior staff to produce quality results. The work will consist of significant amounts of original research on buildings and building systems, and will also entail directly applying that research in simulation and forecasting tools.
The ideal candidate will be prepared to successfully perform all of the listed job responsibilities. However, Ecotope will consider training promising candidates that have a strong aptitude and interest in the work. Duties include:
- Developing laboratory and field methods for evaluating energy performance of HVAC equipment or other building components and systems.
- Analyzing subsequent data obtained from the evaluations
- Field work:
- Conduct building surveys and measure building characteristics
- Deploy and maintain long-term measurement systems of building energy use.
- Create calculators and use simulation tools to support the development of utility efficiency programs and municipal/state level greenhouse gas reduction targets. The tools also support energy code savings estimates and forecasting.
- Technical report writing.
- Support design engineers with performance modeling, load, and sizing calculations.
- Work with equipment manufacturers to adapt technologies to specific building applications.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in engineering, physical or computer science, mathematics, statistics, or similar field.
- High degree of interest in energy efficient building systems. Direct experience with buildings preferred.
- Understanding of thermodynamics and heat transfer.
- Advanced experience with MS Excel including VBA scripting
- Detail oriented personality, ability to organize technical information.
- Ability to manage multiple on-going projects, and prioritize multiple deadlines.
- Self-starting personality, able to work effectively in a team environment as well as independently with minimal supervision.
- 3-years work experience in a similar or related field
- Experience writing data analysis computer code in high-level programming languages such as Python, R, or Matlab.
- Knowledge of Unix/Linux shell scripting and tools.
- Experience displaying/presenting analytical products with web-based tools such as the Shiny package for R or Flask for Python.
- AutoCAD and/or REVIT.
- Strong writing skills including the ability to write in a variety of styles and translate technical information for general readers. Excellent oral communication skills a plus.
COMPENSATION, BENEFITS AND CULTURE
The compensation package offered for this position will depend on the scope of the final job responsibilities & the candidate’s experience. Ecotope offers its permanent employees a benefit package including medical, dental and vision coverage, short and long-term disability, 401(k) with employer safe harbor contribution, ORCA Business Passport, and starting three weeks vacation plus sick and safe time, bereavement leave and civil duty leave.
Ecotope is an owner-operated business focused on the satisfaction of clients and colleagues, enjoying an informal and comfortable work place overlooking Pike Place Market. We promote creativity and innovation while also expecting efficient and effective project execution, striving to manage the company’s project load in support of a healthy work/life balance. Individual employees demonstrate a high level of independence and responsibility for their work within our collaborative work environment.
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Submit one (1) PDF file containing:
- Cover letter.
- Resume, including list of hobbies or interests outside of work.
Email PDF file to talent (at) ecotope.com with “Research Engineer” as the subject line.