Job Opening – August 7, 2019
COMPANY: Ecotope, Inc.
LOCATION: Seattle, WA
JOB TITLE: Senior Electrical Engineer
ECOTOPE JOB CLASS: Electrical Engineer II or III
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full-Time with Benefits
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
Ecotope counteracts the climate crisis with research-proven engineering and visionary leadership; we drive the building industry toward transformative and scalable low-carbon solutions, informed by four decades of learning and technical innovation. Our clients seek holistic designs that optimize energy efficiency and are in harmony with the future grid.
We are a team of licensed engineers, scientists and analysts, all creative risk takers, with progressive clients to match. We don’t just stare at the carbon gauge; we provide solutions to move the needle back.
Ecotope’s approach to improving the energy efficiency of buildings has focused on envelope, mechanical and lighting systems, and occupant interactions. We’ve made significant positive impact, but it’s no longer enough.
The climate crisis places great urgency on the elimination of fossil fuels in favor of beneficial electrification – i.e. decarbonization – by shifting heat loads from fossil gas to electric heat pumps and solar panels, while managing energy storage for grid resilience.
Our evolving practice requires an in-house electrical engineer with experience-based knowledge of building performance. This is a research and design position focused on optimization of electrical services which harmonize building-level energy demand with electrical grid impact.
This new position is a significant opportunity to be a leader in extending Ecotope’s proven practice further into the realm of electrical engineering. If you wish to deliver meaningful change and join a robust and accomplished engineering firm, Ecotope would welcome your ideas and ambition.
- Electrical engineering for residential and commercial buildings
- Prepare conceptual project designs, feasibility studies, cost estimates and detailed final specifications of electrical and control systems using sketches and diagrams, models, and electronic drawing sets
- Design lighting systems and controls, solar PV and photovoltaic arrays, as well as fire alarm, access control, and data cabling systems; develop power riser diagrams and emergency power systems
- In support of mechanical and plumbing design engineers, perform electrical load calculations, short circuit calculations, equipment sizing and distribution sizing for new and existing buildings
- Research and review electrical and mechanical engineering designs for compliance with City, County and State regulations, CSI Division 26 Electrical and Lighting specifications and National Electrical Code standards
- Perform construction administration and commissioning, including site visits and field surveys/assessments
- Serve as Project Lead producing one’s own deliverables while assigning, coordinating and mentoring team members’ work; assist in managing project scope, schedule and budget
- Support Principals in client coordination, communication and business development
- Assist with technical report writing and research projects to advance Ecotope’s position as an industry leader in beneficial electrification for the built environment
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- B.S. Electric Engineering
- WA Professional Engineer license or EIT with plan to obtain PE by 2021
- Minimum 4 years of experience designing electrical power systems, control systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards for the built environment
- Direct experience and high degree of interest in energy efficient building systems and green building design in Seattle and the Pacific Northwest
Proficient with Revit and/or AutoCAD
- Self-starting personality; detail-oriented, with ability to document, organize and communicate complex technical information while managing multiple on-going projects, deadlines and deliverables
- Able to work effectively in a team environment as well as independently with minimal supervision
- Strong communication with clients, including setting and managing client expectations, and proven success identifying and winning business development opportunities
- Professional services consulting experience and proven project management skills
PREFERRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATION
- LEED AP certification
- Knowledge of and experience with sustainable building certification programs such as LEED, GreenGlobes, Built Green, EDSD, EnergyStar, Living Building Challenge, etc.
- Experience with SKM, EasyPower
- Familiarity with California building codes and evolving energy usage targets
COMPENSATION, BENEFITS AND CULTURE
The compensation package offered for this position will depend on the scope of the final job responsibilities & the candidate’s experience. Ecotope offers its permanent employees a benefit package including medical, dental and vision coverage, short and long-term disability, 401(k) with employer safe harbor contribution, ORCA Business Passport, and starting three weeks vacation plus sick and safe time, bereavement leave and civil duty leave.
Ecotope is an owner-operated business focused on the satisfaction of clients and colleagues, enjoying an informal and comfortable work place overlooking Pike Place Market. We promote creativity and innovation while also expecting efficient and effective project execution, striving to manage the company’s project load in support of a healthy work/life balance. Individual employees demonstrate a high level of independence and responsibility for their work within our collaborative work environment.
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Submit one (1) PDF file containing:
- Cover letter
- Professional Resume; please include relevant interests/activities outside of work
Email PDF file to talent (at) ecotope.com with “Senior Electrical Engineer” as the subject line.