Ecotope Inc. Job Opening – Posted February 2017
COMPANY: Ecotope Inc.
LOCATION: Seattle, WA
JOB TITLE: Quantitative Analyst
JOB TYPE: Full time, salaried position with benefits
AVAILABLE: February 2017
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
Ecotope is a mission-driven consulting, research, and mechanical engineering firm with over 40 years’ experience focusing on energy efficiency and sustainable design in buildings. Ecotope provides a range of services organized into three primary work groups. Our Research and Technology group provides fundamental research into emerging energy efficient technologies and building energy use characteristics across the building sector. Our Policy and Planning group provides technical support to regional and national energy planning organizations and to local governments and organizations targeting energy and carbon reductions in the built environment. Our award-winning Engineering and Design group provides full service mechanical engineering and consulting on energy efficiency for multi-family and commercial buildings.
Ecotope is hiring a new analyst to join our Research group working on exciting projects at the forefront of the field of energy use in buildings. We are looking for a motivated candidate interested in participating in original research to help understand how buildings use energy and how to effectively reduce that usage. The work encompasses all facets of energy use from thermal performance of walls and windows, to numerical model development of heat pump water heaters, to direct, multi-year monitoring of HVAC equipment performance in residential and commercial settings.
Ecotope offers an informal and comfortable work place. We are a small business with a non-corporate management structure that places a high value on maintaining employee quality of life. We strive to manage our work load to maintain a healthy work/life balance. Individual employees are afforded a great deal of independence and responsibility for their work within our collaborative work environment.
The ideal candidate will be prepared to successfully perform all of the listed job responsibilities. However, Ecotope will consider training promising candidates that have a strong aptitude and interest in the work. The preferred candidate will have a solid foundation in physical science, energy systems, or engineering research. The candidate will work within our Research and Technology team at the company to assist with new and existing projects. The work will consist of significant amounts of original research on buildings and building systems. It will also entail directly applying that research in simulation tools. Duties include:
- Programming support for the development of energy simulation software including the development of numerical models of physical systems.
- Developing laboratory and field methods for evaluating energy performance of HVAC equipment or other building components and systems.
- Analyzing subsequent data obtained from the evaluations
- Using simulation tools and Excel calculators to support the development of utility programs.
- Assisting with technical report writing and research projects.
- Managing one’s own day to day project tasks.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in mathematics, statistics, computer science, physical science, engineering, or other technical field.
- High degree of interest in energy efficient building systems. Direct experience preferred.
- Understanding of thermodynamics and heat transfer.
- Experience writing data analysis computer code in high-level programming language such as Python or R.
- Detail oriented personality, ability to organize technical information.
- Ability to manage multiple on-going projects, and prioritize multiple deadlines.
- Self-starting personality, able to work effectively in a team environment as well as independently with minimal supervision.
- 3 to 5+ years’ work experience in a similar or related field (graduate education may substitute).
- Knowledge of Unix/Linux shell scripting and tools
- Fluency writing data analysis computer code in a high-level programming language such as Python or R
- Experience writing code in low-level programming languages such as C, C++, or Java.
- Strong writing skills including the ability to write in a variety of styles and translate technical information for general readers. Excellent oral communication skills a plus.
Visit our web site at: www.ecotope.com for additional information on our company.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The salary range offered for this position will depend on the candidate’s experience. Ecotope offers a benefit package including full medical, dental and vision coverage, short and long term disability, 401(k) with matching contribution, annual performance bonuses, and starting 3 weeks annual paid vacation and sick leave. Flex time may be negotiated.
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Submit one (1) PDF file containing:
- Cover letter.
- Resume, include list of hobbies or interests outside of work.
- Email PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Quantitative Analyst” as the subject line.